Friday, August 24, 2012

First day of school, the perfect picture, and a sore toe...

Well, summer is officially over (sniff, sniff) and school has started around the Snell house.  Luckily (or unluckily, I can't decide), we start it a bit staggered. Jemila started Wednesday, Kulate started Thursday (both at public elementary), Drew starts next Monday (full time at the community college), and my homeschooling three (Kate, Jack and Ben) start after Labor Day (this momma/teacher needs a whole lot more time to get myself organized).

I am sad for summer to be over (I think I have said that a few too many times on this blog lately) but just had so much fun (already scheming to head back up to Jill's for a visit and to the Maryland Snells for a weekend in the next few weeks). But I must admit...the SWEET quiet right now is AWESOME!! The girls are off learning tons of stuff at school at this moment, the others are still snoring away  catching up on their beauty sleep... and I am leisurely drinking tea and eating bon bons (well the tea part is true).

So I have to share my wonderful first day of school story. Jemila's first day was Wednesday and it was excruciating difficult to get up early and get breakfast/lunch packed/hair done etc on time for the bus. But we got it accomplished and were ready for the first day of school pics.

As we head out the door (to take pics on the front porch), we see the bus heading into the neighborhood - which is fine - it usually goes around the circle of our neighborhood before reaching our stop. BUT NO... not this time, the driver went the opposite way which meant it would reach the stop before we could get there. So we took off running (Kulate and I in our flip flops).

As we approached the bus it was obvious that we were the last ones to get on and they were holding it for us. I had my phone all ready for the "getting on the bus photo." Just as I lifted the phone to my face to get that great shot of Jemila getting on the bus...I fell.  Off the curb.

This wasn't just any "trip" off the curb...oh no... this was like something you might see on Funniest Home Videos...it was about a 5 minute long fall (ok, I exaggerate a bit) but limbs were flopping all over, I think I may have done a triple lutz somewhere in there, and I was disoriented... my face was only inches from the pavement when it was all over. The bus was pulling away - and shoot, I didn't get that picture.

What I did get was half the neighborhood's (remember it was the first day so even all the dads were all out...sweet) eyes on my graceful fall. They were all very kind - one parent even hugged me, I think (I don't really remember...I was a bit shaken). Luckily for me...I only ended up with a cut up knee and thumb, and a pretty cut up big toe. Not bad for the fall of the century...

Kulate is a little doctor and was SOOOOO excited to take care of my boo-boos. She lovingly washed and dried and bandaged my foot for me when we got home and was so concerned that I was alright. Once I was all cared for she very matter-of-factly asked me - "Were you embarassed?" (DUH) I answered - "Well, yes." She replied - "Yeah Mom, your crack showed."

AGHHHHHHHHHHH......

WHAT????!!?!?!?  @#@$%@#%@$#@$@#*

REALLY????????!?!??!!?

Nice.

What a way to start off the school year...

Re-do on Thursday which was Kulate's first day. My Spongebob bandaids are off, I am healing nicely, thanks -  no falls, got the pics, no cracks....

Such a sweet picture - Kulate spontaneously put her arm around her big sis. What you can't see is that her mouth is full of egg. We were rushing. I REALLY didn't want to be late for that bus again...

4 comments:

turtlemama said...

Laughing so hard at the thought of the fall. I can totally see that happening and knowing as you fall that your picture perfect first morning is out the window. This will be so much more memorable.

Sarah

Julie said...

Hi Sarah! Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to give anyone a chuckle with this story. I laugh now just thinking about it...Have you started school yet? See ya soon!

grtlyblesd said...

Hilarious! :D

I also have an adopted child in public school and 3 bio kids homeschooling (but I have 3 teens in private school as well) and a college age boy who is in the Air Force.

Best wishes with your fundraising. We're in the midst of our second adoption from China, so we are in the same boat.

Julie said...

Thanks for responding Shecki Grtlyblesd! Yes, it was really funny (not at the time of course!). Sounds like your family is much like mine - all over the place for school. It can get confusing - especially when they all have different spring breaks, etc.! Best of wishes on your adoption, and thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...